Rails With Trails Corridor Plan Implementation
Mendocino County Rail-with-Trail Corridor Plan:MCOGRWT_Final Document(web).pdf
The project was funded by Caltrans through a Fiscal Year 2010/11 Community Based Transportation Planning grant of $90,000 with a $10,000 local match from MCOG. The plan's focus was on Hopland, Ukiah and Willits, with potential interregional connections, along the North Coast Railroad Authority (NCRA) railway. The professional team of Alta Planning + Design with its subcontractors GHD (formerly Winzler & Kelly) and Redwood Community Action Agency's Natural Resources Services division was selected to work with local stakeholders and develop the plan.
The team researched existing conditions and requirements, compiled public input through workshops and surveys, and worked with a Technical Advisory Group.
Public workshops were held during September 2011 in Willits and Ukiah. A third workshop was held to review the draft plan in March 2012. The final plan was presented and adopted by MCOG at its regular public meeting on June 4, 2012.
Goals and Vision for the Corridor:
- Improve Non-Motorized Mobility and Accessibility
- Preserve the Transportation System
- Enhance Public Safety and Security
Priority projects established in the plan:
- Ukiah Phase 1 segment (East Gobbi Street - Clara Avenue)
- County of Mendocino Phase 1 segment (Brush Street - Lake Mendocino Drive)
- Willits Phase 1 segment (US 101 - East Valley Street)
Actions/accomplishments to date by City of Ukiah:
- Phase 1 was funded in 2012 with State Bicycle Transportation Account funds - East Gobbi Street to Clara Avenue. - Completed
- Phase 2 was funded in 2015 with State Active Transportation Program (ATP) funds - Talmage Road to East Gobbi Street. - In progress
- Phase 3 was funded in 2017 with a State Urban Greening grant - Clara Avenue to Brush Street, including Orr Creek pedestrian bridge. - In progress
Actions/accomplishments to date by City of Willits:
- The City submitted proposals under two cycles of ATP funding for the Willits Phase 1 segment (US 101 - East Valley Street), but has not been funded to date.
Next steps include:
- Apply for funding of County's first phase (Brush Street - Lake Mendocino Drive).
- Re-apply for ATP funding of Willits' first phase. - Take the City's Rail-Trail survey by July 16, 2018